So I've decided that I'd start writing a blog, so I'm not a total annoyance. In addition this seems like a better space to really try and flesh out ideas in a style that people might actually read instead of skimming through on their news feeds.
Anyways, it seems like a lot of the talk in my little world has been about systemic racism, overt prejudice, and white privilege. I've found a lot of articles and things that people have shared to be quite helpful in articulating the evils of the subtle system that is in place in America that both oppresses minorities and gives white people an inherent unearned advantage. However, while most of what I've seen and read displays perhaps correctly what is evil in our culture, I see little written or spoken about that paints the picture of what racial reconciliation truly looks like. I think it's true white people are hesitant in being labeled racist or culpable in a larger racist scheme because though they may feel guilty or uneasy that there doesn't seem to be a path to reconciliation. It's almost like there is a girl who is promiscuous and people just want her to out herself and just admit she's a slut thereby openly shaming herself without offering help. But is that a path in leading someone to change or to find healing?
So I thought I'd write this post and outline a path to racial reconciliation that you may find beautiful. I'd like to tell the whole story. We need a narrative that serves to change us. We need to own the cruel reality of our pasts, commit to change now, and through shared values of a beautiful future work together. I'm reminded of Dr King's speech which highlighted injustice but then pointed to a beautiful future. So will we too have a dream today?
Reality:
Here is the truth of the matter: the world seeks greatness through putting others beneath them, climbing to the top by climbing over others. In America we have always created wealth for one group of people by oppressing another group of people. We brought slaves from Africa and used their labor to create wealth for white Europeans. It was ugly, cruel, and disgusting what greed and desire for power caused us to do to other human beings who have the full value of the image of God in their bodies and souls. This hunger did not end with slavery in America but continued with Jim Crow laws and even today through subtle remains of a system stacked against minorities and privileges white Americans.
This reality does not stop with race though. The way of the world is advancement through oppression. We will just as easily use poor migrants like Mexicans and other immigrants and take advantage of them too. It is the way of the world. Furthermore, in the wake of finding no particular minority to oppress, those in power will just as easily replace racism with classism.
Repentance:
In the Bible it calls Christians to confess our sins to one another so that we may be healed. Jesus's first message and motif of his entire ministry was "repent for the kingdom of God is at hand", meaning that if we change and trust God to change us this world will look a little more like heaven. It also calls us to seek greatness through service. Jesus said that if you wish to be great in this world then you should seek to be the servant of all.
So maybe we as a nation need to openly confess so that we may be healed. Let's do that. Let's do it in public forums and in private to those who we know who have experienced oppression. Let's seek to be like Jesus who gave up his privilege so that he could be the servant of all. But let us not forget that because of this the Bible says that Jesus achieved greatness. Let us be hopeful that though this process will be painful, there is joy and hope at the end of this fight.
Redemption:
This is the part of the story that I literally have heard or read almost zero about. But can we for a second dream of a redeemed future? The Bible says that God can do abundantly more than we ask or even imagine. So imagine today and be filled with hope because God can do better than what your best creative thoughts my have been.
Let me though speak a little bit about heaven. Heaven is a place where before God every tribe and tongue rejoices together as a family. Do you remember what Jesus said? "Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand". So that means if we truly repent and God holds up his end of the bargain we will one day be family just like in heaven. Jesus calls us to pray "your will be done on earth as it is in heaven". So then, we should pray.
In addition there is a passage in Colossians 3 where it says that "here there is no Jew nor Greek, slave nor free". We can easily replace black and white into those people groups. At the beginning of this passage I believe lies the secret to this end. Paul says to "set your eyes on Jesus, and to set your mind on things above." I was reminded of this passage in college when I spent a lot of time worshipping in congregations where I was a minority particularly in Hispanic and African American congregations. To be honest, it was always painfully obvious that I was at times the only white guy there. But in those times when we all worshipped together I often forgot that I was white. I was with my true family and the people around me, though different, were my brothers and sisters.
So as to policy and the practical out workings of this future it might be helpful to start conversations and make plans to actually do things to make a difference. It is helpful to note that God has promised to give wisdom to anyone who asks. Paul tells us to pray for wisdom and revelation, so we may need to search the scriptures and ask God to speak to us about how to change and give us insight into ways we can live differently. Above all let us not forget the story and truth of the gospel that will make us into gracious forgiving people who are peacemakers, horribly sinful yet wonderfully forgiven. This gospel is the power of God when applied; it is our greatest hope and THE answer for reconciliation and a better future.
No comments:
Post a Comment